Friday

The wild birds do whistle


This is the place I long for sometimes. But I do wish our renters well.

Not very many birds sing around here. There's a few ducks and some whistle birds singing. But not much.

I think putting out birdseed makes a difference. Outside the blue house, there is this cherry tree and we had a bird feeder. Pigeons on the grass, pigeons on the asphalt, pigeons on the roof, pigeons on the fence, pigeons in the stovepipe (that is not a joke. For ages we had that nest in there and it was pretty funny because you'd hear them cooing down at us!). And that was just the pigeons. There were chickadees, sparrows, juncos, crows, sparrows, Steller's jays, sparrows, and more pigeons. Oh, and there were also sparrows.

And they sang!. The chickadees would sing with their dee-dee-dees, the sparrows twittered, the juncos...well they didn't make any noise, the crows called out, "caw! caw!", and the Steller's jays scolded.

There's a song. It goes like this:

Down in some lone valley,
In a lonesome place,
Where the wild birds do whistle
And their notes do increase
Farewell, pretty Saro,
I bid you adieu
And I'll dream of pretty Saro
Wherever I go...
It's there I got my name and my city name.
Saro (but I'm not really all that pretty)

No comments: