Sunday

Lonesome valley

Chinese New Year holiday is still going strong. Lots of fireworks, but hardly a person on campus. Sometimes I will walk along the dry dusty ground and the only sound will be the slap of my shoes on the ground. It's like having a big yard to roam in. It could be an entire kingdom! There's a lonesome feeling, spoiled only by the fact that there is still a trickle of people wandering around. I wonder if the actual day of Chinese New Year was quiet on campus. If that were the case, it would be a fabulous place to play.

As it is, my sister and I are so busy with schoolwork that it exhausts us. Sitting and reading is beginning to wear me out, though I love to do it. What I love to do is write and play instruments, but I'm too tired to breathe through a tin whistle or recorder or pick up a violin. And, indeed, I believe I have writer's block.

Getting back to Chinese New Year--I never think it happened in Seattle much like this. It was not so loud, nor so quiet.
Saro

No comments: