Wednesday

Kind sir, have you wed your corn?

Yes! That is a line from a song. It's the past tense of "weeded". The whole song is as follows:

Come all young ladies, and listen to my song,
I'll tell you 'bout a young man who wouldn't raise corn.
The reason why, I cannot tell,
This young man was always well.

In the month of June, he planted his corn,
In July, he laid it by,
In October, there came a frost,
The seed of his corn this young man lost.

He goeth down and he peepeth in,
The weeds and the grass grew up to his chin!
The weeds and the grass, they grew so high,
Caused this young man for to cry.

He goeth down to his near neighbor's land,
Going a-courting, as I understand,
Going a-courting, and, sure as you're born,
"Kind sir, have you wed your corn?"

"Well, yes, my dear!" he did reply,
"Yes, my dear, I've laid it by,
But it ain't worthwhile to strive in vain--
I don't believe in my soul it's gonna raise one grain!"

"Well, a healthy young man that won't raise corn
Is the laziest man that ever was born!
Single I am, single I'll remain--
But a lazy man I won't maintain!"


The song ends there...but I've seen lyrics to other versions that have a reply ("you'll live to rue the day!" and stuff like that) from the lazy man. I enjoy singing it because it has room for expression and it's got a pretty tune. The version I sing is slightly different--it begins, "Come all young people." I heard a sample from Jean Ritchie's website that has: "Come all young ladies, as I have here. I sing "people" as I hear it a lot (we are almost complete on our Atwater-Donnelly collection but we have no Jean Ritchie CDs, tapes, LPs, Gramaphones, or whatever her recordings are on. I've just heard songs sung online, like "West Virginia Mine Disaster") more often.

More on Thailand later. Almost lunch time.
Saro

No comments: