Friday

Shule Aroon

Talk about a lot of titles! Somebody found about five different versions of this song under four different titles...like, "On Buttermilk Hill", "Wild Geese", "Gone the Rainbow", and..."Shule Aroon"--which, I have to admit makes the least sense to me. Actually, none of the titles except "Shule Aroon" fit the version I know, but I suppose they all make sense. What does "shule aroon" mean anyway?

Shule, shule, shule aroon.
Time can only heal my woe
Since the lad of my heart from me did go
Oh, Johnny has gone for a soldier.


I've heard a variation of a different version--I mean, it's really hard to explain. It's in this song called "Soldier's Round" which is compiled by...um...Daniel Dutton...I think...of different war songs. So there's this one verse:

Here I stand on buttermilk hill.
Who could blame me, crying my fill?
Every tear could turn a mill.
Johnny has gone for a soldier.


Which is akin to:

Oh, I wish I were on yonder hill
It's there I'd sit and cry my fill,
Until every tear could turn a mill.
Oh, Johnny has gone for a soldier.


It would be interesting to write a war story about some girl at home whose brother or boyfriend or father or husband went to war..I don't know, whenever. And every line of "Shule Aroon"--except for the line of words that I don't know--would be a chapter title and what happened in the story, or at least the feelings of it would be recorded as the chapter title suggests. You could call it "Shule Aroon" or something like that (Wild Geese? On Buttermilk Hill? Gone the Rainbow? ;))
Saro

No comments: