Tuesday

There were roses...

Yesterday was the big day--Susie and I did our performance. It was a pantomime/interpretive dance to Tommy Sands' "There Were Roses". Here I have some pictures. I can't find our exact lyrics online (there's several different versions, I modified our version from the Crossing's version), but a google search for there were roses will get results.

Anyway:


Hours before the performance, I had to disguise my messy braids, so I tried a "Leia" hairstyle...

My sister impatiently awaits the appointed time.

The props are all ready "backstage".

Of course I'm excited!

The song begins: "My song for you this evening, it's not to make you sad..."

Isaac Scott from Banagh [that may not be the proper spelling here], he lived just across the fields...

A great man for the music, and the dancing, and the reels

And sometimes in the evening, when we heard the sound of drums...

We talked about the friends who'd died, we hoped there'd be no more...

It was on a Sunday morning, when the awful news came round

When we heard that [Isaac] was dead, we just couldn't understand

We gathered at the graveside on a cold and rainy day...

"But Isaac was my friend!!!" he cried, and he begged them with his tears...

[This is my favorite line] An eye for an eye; that's all that filled their minds. And another eye for another eye; until everyone is blind.

And the tears of the people ran together...

They were both good friends of mine

Despite one false start, a red face the entire time, and having to sing four choruses to accomodate my costume change, it came off wonderfully (from my point of view as to how it compared with rehearsals). I was trying to keep a straight face, not because the song was funny but because I wanted to giggle. Apparently that came off okay.

I welcome feedback!
Saro

No comments: