Thursday

My favorite dolls?

Okay. You probably know that I'm thirteen or so, right? (I am thirteen) And so are you surprised to hear that I still play with dolls...I mean, I still have dolls and I'm not ashamed of it?

You can laugh. Once I got laughed at by a semi-close friend and the only harm it did was that it made me feel a bit proud of being unique. Anyway, I do, and I wanted to tell you about my favorites.

At home I have Eve, Jodie, Cathy (named after me but if you call me that you are dead meat), and Pricilla. Here I have Bethany, Jennet, Spicy, Shellie, Rae, and Hannah, and my favorite, Aubrie Jean (just plain Aubrie for short) (it was named after Aubrey Atwater but I like to differ spelling so my sister can't tease me in writing by mixing the two up).

Eve is a doll made out of balsa wood with very pretty brown yarn hair. She is a little serious and could make a noblewoman of fairytale yore if I were to make more like her.

Jodie is a doll with this crazy auburn hair and several dresses. She is my second-favorite homeade-by-me doll, but not really close.

Cathy is an old plastic doll that I had to leave at home. She's dirty as anything but when I was little we had resemblance, hence the name.

Pricilla is another old plastic doll with fancier hair.

Bethany is my second-favorite of all time doll, made by my mother for Christmas one year. She didn't even bother to keep it a secret, but she did wrap it and I asked her to put a special bow on so I'd know which package she was in. She is very dirty and raggedy as anything but I still sleep with her practically every night.

Jennet I just made recently. She is a rag doll but she is my fashion doll. Mum won't let me play with Barbies and all my cheap fashion dolls aren't worth mentioning. They're fun for play but they don't have costume changes. The only thing I wish for that is generally covered by Barbies is mega-clothes. I don't even like half the clothes my friends have for their Barbies, so I'm making Jennet a wardrobe of prettier things.

Spicy is a gingerbread girl that lost a lot of her rickrack frosting. I named her after a young woman in a book, "A Picture of Freedom" by Patricia McKissak. If any of you are familiar with that book you may be glad to know that Spicy the doll has a middle name, Rose.

Shellie, Rae, and Hannah are my minority dolls. They're Miao, Bai, and Yi respectively.

Aubrie Jean is my favorite doll. I made her myself on Holy Week 2004. I was so embarrased about her first name that I called her Ana Magdelena in public, after Bach's wife. Then I finally disclosed her name (and immediately got pressure from my mother to "show the real Aubrey"!). I finally did succumb to my mother's pressure last time I happened to see the doll's namesake (over a year ago). Recently I added the middle name (and I'll leave you to figure it out, thank you very much!!!) and changed the spelling because, sure as shooting, if I say to Susie, "I'm going to make a new dress for Aubrie," and show her the work in progress, she'll say, "Do you think she'll fit?"

Anyway, I'll get a photo op really soon. See you later!
Saro

No comments: