Monday

The Folk Song Quiz!

First off: Here are the lyrics to all of the songs I reference, and a few more!


The Folk Song Quiz
Decide what songs these are referring to. Two points for each correct answer without a website, 1 point for each correct answer with a website. Answers, as always, are in the comments section. Please let me know what you got!


1. Ask all soldiers if they are married before falling head over heels in love with them.

2. My true love gave me cherry blossoms, eggs, told me "I love you" a million times, and also gave me a sleeping baby. Now she claims that she gave me cherries without stones, chickens with no bones, a story with no end, and a baby that doesn't cry. Unfortunately, the baby does cry.

3. My hen hasn't laid an egg since 'way last fall...chicken dinner tonight!

4. My true love lives under a bunch of trees and has really big feet.

5. Next time I dress up as a boy I will not make myself into a handsome one.

6. WANTED: Someone who is willing to hammer in the morning, in the evening, all over this land. You may also need to hammer out danger, a warning, and of course love between your brothers and your sisters. Comes with free bell and song.

7. Every time I come to town the boys keep kickin' my dog around...so I just won't go to town!

8. I wish I were on yonder hill, it's there I'd sit and cry my fill...so go there, for heaven's sakes!!!

9. There are white crows all over the place...I think my lover proved false to me.

10. Please, fair maid, don't sing early in the morning, just as the sun is rising. I value sleep.

No comments: