Friday

Jane Eyre, lesnoto dancer

Wednesday, Mum said, "There's a booksale on campus." Last time there was a booksale on campus there were two English books, the biography of Bill Clinton and The Da Vinci Code. Neither one really gave great interest to us, so we didn't bother to pick 'em up.

So, naturally, our question was, "Are there any English books?" We never said this, as she answered in her own continuation. "And there's one English book. Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte. It's a classic. It would be 'way to hard for Susie, but Saro might enjoy it. So would you, Tim," this to my father, "if you wanted to read it. Shall I pick it up?"

The answer was noncommittal, she might have well as said, "What do you want, chocolate and vanilla mixed together or chocolate and vanilla swirl?" Chocolate and vanilla swirl takes on a slight preference, but either will do just fine.

So, when she came back from class, she said, "Jane Eyre is only ten kuai," (this is comparable to ten dollars in local money, the actual value being around a dollar twenty-five) "do you want to buy it?" she added.

"I guess," was Daddy's non-committal answer.

"I'll need some money, then," Mum said. He handed her a ten and she went out again. In a few minutes, she came back, bearing a deliciously fat and intriuging novel. Joy! Another book to read. Soon my schoolwork was finished, and I sat down to devour the book. Alas! Would that I had waited for the weekend! Look back at the previous post, schoolgirls (or boys) (or working folk) and follow my advice! My reading was constantly hampered by schoolwork, had it been Sunday, I believe I could've all but finished the book the first day.

But I finished it yesterday, to find quite a surprising ending (for me) and to sigh that my suspense was gone, but so was such a consuming enjoyment. There is a solution, however, which I hit upon today. The book is being reread to my great enjoyment. I suppose Jane Eyre might hit upon the same mark that the March sisters did, old-fashioned people in old books that are not so dreadfully hard to follow as Jane Austen (whose writings I have seen as one movie and read one book*) and are interesting to boot.

Later that evening, we played all the samples off Balkanarama's new CD. This will be their best ever! I am completely serious, and I wish they knew!

The lesnoto, by the way, is a dance. I don't believe you do it to the songs on this CD, but it sounded good for Jane Eyre. I digress. Anyway, I will see u later, alligators!
Saro

*the book was Persuasion, and the movie of which I have mentioned has a goofs page that I recommend. goofs

No comments: