Tuesday

In a lonesome place

This place is so familiar to me.

I amazed my aunt this Christmas by communicating in the worst Chinese that street vendor had ever heard.

"Liang guh"

"Liang guh?"

"Doi. Hao."

I surprised my aunt by picking up this huge bamboo stick and playing with it. You just don't play with huge bamboo sticks in the 'States. 'Least not so readily. But I do it all the time.
-=0=-=0=-=0=-=0=-=0=-=0=-=0=-=0=-

This place is a ghost town.

It's quiet. And still. There are a few people playing basketball, and a few people strolling around, but otherwise...quiet.

It's depressing for my mother, but refreshing for me. Think, walking around without hearing "Lao wai!" yelled at me so much and not having to stammer to a few amused older ladies, "Wa bu ming bai Putonghua!!!"

It's funny, but at times it's a bit wearing. I do miss being able to say more than "Hello!" and "Thank you!" and "Goodbye!" and "I don't understand Putonghua."

My friend Kelly (whom I'll see in Thailand, hopefully) who lives in Kunming is bilingual. Two years younger than me, strawberry blonde, and speaks Chinese. Often with her, I'll lean on her to get me out of a situation. Or once I was with Rita, who is with our organization--she's bilingual--and she got me and Susie out of a beggar. But shaking my head and walking away really quickly does the trick when you have no language.

It just isn't the same. Often, when walking the streets of the Lagan, I will meet someone who will say "Hi there" or "hello". Many Chinese people know "Hello", but it doesn't have the assurance that this person probably can carry on a conversation if the need were to arise.

It's funny how people here will throw in an English phrase. Somebody tried to order something and he said, "Doi. Hao." and the woman nodded and walked out, calling, "Yes. All right." She probably knew about as much English as I Chinese, and yet she said that. Often I will do something like that only I don't say it out loud.

Well, I've got to go--I'm becoming a living iceberg and taking a sponge bath even with hot water isn't going to help any (the shower's hot water is on the blink. Phooey). Let's see, where did I put my gloves...?

No comments: