Thursday

Farewell, farewell

I wrote a song last year (please, don't laugh!) with this title, tune taken from a song which I thought was just a song with the same title, but then I found out that that song had taken the tune from a song I wouldn't sing in a million years. How embarrasing!

I won't post the words here (for reasons difficult to explain) but I will say this: that you can sing it when leaving your home for any foreign country across the International Dateline or, with modification (I'm thinking up the modified lyrics right now!) going back.

I'm leaving now for another land
A land I love so dear.
But still my heart is sore for you
All my friends and kindred near.

This land it is so far away
That our day is their night.
And when the dark here falls again
They finally see the light.

Farewell, my family and my friends
I know we hate to part
But if we do not meet again
You'll still be in my heart.

I'll leave you with these parting words
And I hope again we will meet.
Goodbye, adieu, and fare thee well--
This parting's far from sweet.


Actually, the last verse could be added to the original version. The last verse of the original I can't post here. The first verse of the original went like this:

"I'm leaving now for another land,
A land so far from here
So I must leave my lovely home
In a land I've loved so dear."

The chorus I can't post here, either. Some things must wait until I'm out of here for good.

So, I give this to you, weblog readers (are there any out there? :) ) until Stateside. Have a good day, and night, wherever you are.
Saro

P.S. Once we go back for good (not this year!), I'll get to learn Spanish with Rosetta Stone. I wasn't too keen about the idea until we all tried the demo. Wow!!! Now I'm actually a little excited.

No comments: