Friday

Home again

My loyal readers:
Greetings from Tacoma, Washington, United States of
America, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Eastern
Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, the
Universe! (That's my expanded address!)

We're home again. In Kunming I was wishing I hadn't
left. In Hong Kong, I wished it were just a short
vacation there. In San Francisco, I just wished I
could bring back the milk shakes and leave the rest
(the Chinese, for all the mouth-watering things they
make, cannot make milk shakes). I had to spend the
night in Seattle (Tacoma, actually) before I REALLY
realized I was in the right place.

So, what have I done? Read the novelizations of the
original Star Wars trilogy (I recommend seeing the
movie first, but they're great, especially A New Hope)
and played the piano 'til I was like to drop. I've
also read this book, "Splinter of the Mind's Eye".
It's actually okay. My aunt had prepared me for much
worse, but I've also been immersed in typing up
ANOTHER unlikely story by me, so I suppose I was in
bad fiction mode. I've got three new dresses (once
home to a fast connection I will show you a picture)
and three new pairs of socks. I also have a new skirt
and new shorts. I've eaten plenty of American food
(cups of AMERICAN ramen, of all things!) I'm getting
used to seeing things in English and Spanish instead
of English and Chinese. (Ramen cabor a pollo, anyone?)
We went to the LIBRARY and I found some of my old
favorite books. Yesterday, July 4th (American
independence day, if any non-Americans are reading
this), we had a quiet day and finally set off piccolo
petes and sparklers. I wrote silly things with my
sparkler, pretended it was a wand, and conducted an
impromptu chorus of "God Bless America".

In transit, I ate Cantonese food, burst into "God
Bless America" with Mum as we landed on American soil,
met a new guy who's going to replace Uncle Charles
(waaa about Uncle Charles leaving, yaayy about getting
a guy that we've all taken a liking to). Also got sick
of KFC. That's about it, actually. I haven't been here
long enough to:

1. Dress a couple dolls that have been naked for years
that really ought to be clothed
2. get complaints about the tin whistle (or play it
for that matter)
3. Set the world chattering when my friends become an
awesome trio who know smidgens in two dialects of
Chinese and English and do something, like...uh, hold
another burping contest?

I'm in a silly mood right now...you gotta be, when you
got a silly family.
Saro

No comments: