Thursday

Of art and watercolors

I love to draw. In fact, I love to doodle more than I like to do practically anything else--it's right up there with reading.

I used to hate poetry and spending a long time looking at art, but now I like both, go figure. I also attempt to write poetry and paint nice--not stupendous--but nice pictures. I've found that if I'm really into a picture it has more life, more substance to it. Even if I decide I want to paint a picture of an animal (my worst subject) but I don't want to draw a night sky (now, they're easy), the animal will look better even though it's worse. You know what I mean?

Well, lately I've been looking at art and I am impressed with the symbolism in some art. In some it's blatent, and in some it's just little things you notice. I have a lot of respect for both, but more for the latter. Anyways, I once made up a little story-book (that I never finished) for somebody in my family with "blatent symbolism" in the illustrations. One page for each of our favorite bands, and a page for Star Wars, and a plain page. So. On the first page you have a very dumb book title (though broken up into CD titles it's perfect) How to Daily Grow in Simple Sentences (now, that's two CD titles, "Daily Growing" and "Simple Sentences"). The next page had some harder in-jokes about another band...the princess was playing a lute and singing with her eyes closed, there was a shoe on the table, the lady's-maid was sort of dancing, and one of them had sunglasses in her pocket. The fourth page was extremely dumb. The princess was wearing a white dress. Her dark hair was being coiled about her ears by the lady's-maid. There were two others, one reasonably tall and the other short and squat, in the middle of an argument. In the backround were a couple of crazed siblings swinging on ropes. Anyways, it was a way to pass the time, though the aforesaid family member never got it because it was taking too long and I needed something...

Anyways, great artists can do better than that, and I love looking for things like that in art. I think art is like a poem--which is like an onion, layers. No Shrek jokes, please. It is the outer skin and the heart which you must consider. And sometimes only the poet knows the heart.

That's what I like to do, though I don't do it very sucessfully. Take a private emotion and tell the world...but first, throw on so many veils that you can barely find it. And the veils change to emotion to something different, something beautiful.

Of course, it's easier to do in a painting, and a picture is worth a thousand words--but one must come up with those thousand words. So it's harder to be a writer...but more satisfying, in my opinion.

Anyways, I didn't mean to write this much, sorry. Have a good one

No comments: