Monday

Ah, now I remember!

Now I remember what it was I wanted to tell you. My dad and I like to make up new words for folksongs. Now, how many of you know "So Long, It's Been Good To Know You"? Well, we made new words up for this.

First the background story: I first learned this song out of Theodore Bickel's songbook--Folksongs and Footnotes. I then heard the song from the Weavers. It's got a different part in the chorus than the first.

At first, the Weavers version sounded awkward, and then I could sing both, but now I barely know the Theodore Bickel version. So here is a verse for "So Long, It's Been Good to Know You" that Daddy and I made up:

Now, the Weavers their version was so strange to me
And Ted Bickel's score was a joy for to see
But Ted and I parted--the Weavers hung on,
And now I am singing a Weavers-style song, and its

So long, it's been good to know you...etc.

No comments: