Wednesday

Of music and families

I know I want to post today, but I don't know what I want to write about. It's interesting, just writing what comes to my head. Except, now, my head is pretty empty except for a story of mine which is going out of control. I never intended to kill off this one character, but she just...died. It happened suddenly, and I think I was as surprised as the heroine was. And then the heroine suddenly developed a talent for the violin that both she and I never heard of before! If this girl (Miriam) was real, I would like to call her up and ask her, "Do you know who's writing the story here?"

Does anyone here write stories? Is this normal? Do characters generally grab the pencil and start writing? Almost literally, I mean.

Right now I'm listening to Folksounds. I really like listening to folk music, and I like to sing folk music, and all that, but then with the instruments I take Celtic music and...um...other stuff and play that. I think that even if you don't like a folk song, the origins are interesting. What I wonder, is, is this part of every American's heritage or just for those that come from the right areas? I don't know. I guess you can listen and sing that stuff anyway, 'cause I do that to Jewish music and I'm not Jewish (actually, some members of my family has this joke that they might be, and they might have a very little, but I'm probably as much Native American as I am Jewish if that has any truth to it).

Family heritage! My family is mostly German, and a bit Austrian (Emma, my great-grandmother on my dad's dad's side that neither my dad nor I ever met, fascinates me and she's Austrian) and technically, Czech, I guess, except at that point, the Czech republic was part of Austrian. Then there's the Scottish streak, except an Isaac Stuart immigrated to Canada around the right time from Ireland, so who knows? One or two of those Stuarts married into Native Americans, and you can see it in my dad, but the one time I've told somebody and they said they could see it, I was wearing stereotypical pigtail braids (and not for that reason). Whew! Well, I'm mostly German, and it's only around Christmas that that heritage interests me. Oh, sure, I'm going to study German when I have to study something, but the problem is I'm more interested in Gaelic, if you must ask! Well, German'll probably be easier...

I'd really like to know more about Great-Grandma Emma and my Scottish (or Irish) (or Scots-Irish!) relatives, hm.
Saro

No comments: