Sunday

Do you have a boyfriend?

Hm. Sharon says she saw me on TV. The tea-drinking program. She said that I said I liked Chinese tea better than Western tea. I think I did say that. Anyway, if I did, that's the absolute truth...

Then she said that she thinks I really came to China to get a boyfriend. I was insisting this was not so and everybody was laughing and I pointed out that I really don't like boys...okay, I have had crushes (used to!!!)...so of course I didn't want a boyfriend.

Rose said that she wanted to be a "baby's mother". She then added something to the effect of "so I'll have to get married." I thought, inwardly, "yeah, that might help," but I didn't say so. She said that if her boyfriend (nonexistant, when she gets one, she means) didn't send her a rose she wasn't gonna be too happy.

And Sharon started teasing Kirstie about her (nonexistant) boyfriend, and then Kirstie started anouncing, "I am very angry with you," which I've not heard yet, so I don't know the...I don't know...I don't know how much she really was.

Finally, at English corner, my group was begging one of the better English speakers (a teacher with really amazing English) to tell a story. She laughed and said, "You wanna hear love stories?"

I told the "Two Old Women's Bet" twice yesterday. It went over well. I will post my own version told in more complex English (though not in Appalachian dialect!!!) later, but if you can't wait, go to the library and check out Grandfather Tales by Richard Chase.
Saro

P.S. Check out the book anyway. It's a great book!

P.P.S. Now I've a dot in Georgia!

No comments: