Thursday

Whistle a happy tune

Last night I started playing the Bb whistle and Becky was reading my paper on the Civil Rights movement and Mum was just staring off into space instead of reading. I joked that with the whistle she couldn't hear herself think, and she said, no, that wasn't it.

I love my Bb whistle. It's a Generation, brass-plated, I think. It's really low and breathy, so it works to play airs and the more slower songs. For a fast song, I generally use the C whistle. It's also Generation, but it's nickle-plated. It's the one that matches most of my outfits, because of the blue mouthpiece. That one sounds great if you have the right acoustics, and somewhat funny if you don't. It's more shrill and wailing. I hardly ever use the D whistle. That one's a different brand, Feadog. I don't know what it's plated with, all I know is that whatever it is has tarnished really bad except around the finger-holes, where it's incredibly polished.

I got the D whistle as a joke. Actually, technically, it's Becky's and my whistle, but...well...she doesn't play it. She said that I acted as though I owned it by not letting her play it, but I reminded her that both of the times she's referring to I was talking about the other two, which are mine. And she generally plays it to tease me. I'd be happy to give her lessons! I mean, it's just what Mum and Daddy need--two whistles shrilling all the time!

Its tone is really different. It's shrill and loud with any acoustics, and I don't feel comfortable just candidly playing it in our living room anymore. The C whistle I'll play if it's just Becky around, and I'd play the Bb whistle in front of guests (if they wanted to hear it), but the D...ugh, it's so shrill and our living room is so small!

No comments: