Thursday

No tricks now

Hum. We've got a real Jacob-Esau dynamic going on around here, except there are a lot of exceptions. If it weren't so frustrating it would be amusing.

My sister and I are both regular kids--regular people--in that we're bad and good and all that. Well, it seems we both have a particular flaw that drives one parent crazy while the other, though not fine with it, sort of takes it in stride, disciplining, surely, but not really getting too angry, or if they do it's very short lived. Becky's is her temper, mine is my habit of speaking disrespectfully--and while it's wrong, I don't think either of us do it on purpose all the time. But it is wrong, and it ticks both of our parents off--but the temper drives Mum nuts, and don't expect civil conversation for several minutes between my father and me after I chance to say something...well, you get the idea.

Now, I'm sure my parents don't play favorites, or if they do, it's an accident that they can't help and it doesn't affect much of anything. Besides that, there's always been this dynamic of "what's a creative thing to show Daddy" and "what's a creative thing to show Mum" with me at least and they're different. Daddy has more in-jokes, Mum's stuff is generally stuff that I would post in detail here more often or something like that. Like right now...well, she might read this before Mother's Day, and then what would I do?

And my sister, the youngest, can get by with more from Daddy, whereas I, the oldest--well, they both crack down a lot, but Mum's less...how shall I put it? And there's not this serious rivalry. Change our genders, ages, and so on...I think Becky would be off hunting while I helped my mother (though sitting around typing isn't doing that). Right now, I do a lot of creative stuff, and, oh, yes, occasionally I'm "mother's little helper" (when she's stressed or doesn't get the dishes done before English Corner), while Becky is definitely "mother's little helper". But I think that at the right place and the right time she'd go off hunting, a lot. Neither of us are that hairy. Furthermore, we don't have that birthright thing, and who knows if she'd buy it from me if we did? Hmmm...

The biggest parallel, however, is that she's already a really good cook. So selling a birthright for her cooking isn't as impossible as it may seem...;)

No comments: