Tuesday

Much to say there is not

It's very warm and summery here--I'm wearing shorts. My violin keeps popping out of tune. The big tuners (not the fine tuners--I'm talking about the big peg-ones) get this thing sometimes where they'll come out of their sockets a little and pull the string hopelessly out of tune. So you have to push the peg back in securely and tune the string. It's hard. I get nervous every time I do it--but I can tune my violin. I've tuned a string to a perfect pitch with a big tuner, but it was probably a lot of chance. When I finally do get my violin tuned, I'm always playing the same-old, same-old, except with more of an American twist. Maybe Mum is right to get me involved with the Washingtime Old Time Fiddling Association or whatever it's called. I just don't think my skill level is up to snuff for even classical music, much less old-time fiddling. Of course, once I do learn old time fiddling, it's going to be a strong temptation to murder the "Minuet in G" by...fiddling it! I love taking one style and applying it to my favorite song of another style. It sounds terrible, but also interesting. The other day I heard a Jewish (Klezmer, I think) group do some songs from the Passover Haggadah and the fiddle sounded really Celtic in style. Of course, I can't identify things like that, but that's what it sounded like. Oh, and Happy Passover, if you celebrate it; my calendar says that it's today. Which probably meant that it began at sundown tomorrow...right? I'm not sure. I don't pretend to be Jewish. I just sing in Yiddish sometimes because I like the song and the language. Thought about learning it, but Spanish is a bit more practical.

I just squeezed all that in one big unfocused paragraph! There truly isn't that much to say!

No comments: