Saturday

The Rising of the Moon

This is such a lovely song--the tune I know it to is the one I'm thinking of, though the other tune is nice, to. This doesn't have that little repeating bit, "At the rising of the moon, at the rising of the moon..." etc. It's really interesting. I used to think it was a woman (Sean O'Farrell's girlfriend?) singing. I still imagine that, though now I find that "buichaill" is a lad or a young boy. Oops!

Why did I become so interested in this Irish war song? Well, I liked it when I first had to sing it out of Theodore Bikel's book for school. Then, when I was thinking of making a personal tape of this "band"--i.e. my sister playing anything percussive, my dad singing what I could teach him, and me doing the rest of the stuff because I was the only one who actually knwe the songs--I started researching songs. At this time, 2004, or thereabouts, the word "moon" was this big joke between us...never mind why; the wrong people might see it. I learned the song as a joke. Then I thought it was great. At first, I thought it was a really slow, drawn-out song (sung by a woman, no less!), but I've heard the other tune now, and it's generally done pretty fast and by people who might at one time have fit the defnition of "buichaill".

So I guess the song has two identities for me...but where on earth is that tune from the Theodore Bickel's book has??? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Anyone know?

No comments: