Friday

"Becky" Schultz

My sister remains a mystery to me.

Yesterday, when she was given a school assignment to do a creative story or something about the Orphan Train, I listened from the living room, thinking, "Oh, no." For, when Becky does that sort of work, it means hard work for Daddy and a whole mess of gloom hanging over the house. Becky doesn't have ideas, asks for some, rejects them all, then complains. I'm not one to judge, though, for a lot of times I understand her side only too well. I understand desperately needing help to find the one subject that would interest me. And I know that it's terribly frusterating to try and play such guessing games. Who knows what I'll do when I'm a parent and in those shoes?

Anyway, my feelings of dread deepened when she opted for the comic strip. I figured it would be like me in years past. Two fairly good (or good attempts at) panels, then being so bored that the rest is dumb or not there at all.

Oh, no. Who expected her to suddenly be a little Charles Schulz, coming up with an excellent story idea, some good humor and visual gags, and painstakingly drawing a nice (although stick-figured) comic strip three pages long. It was about a little girl named Lisa who climbed on a train car (replica or real, I don't know, but she wasn't supposed to be on it). All of a sudden there was a "Voom!" and she was riding on that same train car. She kept shocking a competent lady in charge, saying (and this is not a direct quote) "Where am I?" "You're on the Orphan Train." "But how did I get here? I have parents. I'm not an orphan!" "But one of your parents probably put you on here. They felt it was best for you." "But they didn't put me on here!" "Now, now. I know it's hard. You must accept the truth!"

Now, of course, if one were to look at it as something they expected for an older kid or an adult, they'd be disappointed. They would complain that the story changes a little bit between pages 2 and 3. They'd complain about the historical error of a grown lady with her hair hanging down. But those people would be too nitpicky, because for a nine year old (especially my sister!) it's great!

Of course, I'm biased. I think it's wonderful, but my sister and I rarely criticize each other's cartooning to the extent that even our parents would, simply because we don't offer it for critique. But still...maybe it's a phase, or maybe her name will adorn the comics section later. We can't know...yet...I mean, I'd like to be on the list of Newbery Medal winners, though that's unlikely. I'd settle for a Newbery Honor, or, at least, a good review.

No comments: