Friday

A musical evening

Last night was a very musical evening, and my left pinky is telling me it was too musical. Those of you who play the fiddle would probably find it very easy to believe that I sprained it reaching a little too high (and, yes, the A was a little too sharp when that happened). I played the violin for almost an hour and I really attacked some of those tunes. "Cold Frosty Morn" and "Liberty" were insanely fast and powerful with plenty of wrong notes. Which is how I play when I'm just having fun. I played "Cold Frosty Morn" for Daddy, who remarked that it was very nice, but not really Balkan. The tune is a reel from I don't know where. Ireland or America, most likely. But Daddy likes to tease me that I'm supposed to be Matty Noble's replacement. Ha, ha. I heard that he joined the band when he was my age, but the guy is a virtuoso! I could never play that well. At least not Balkan tunes. I haven't given up that by the time I'm seventy or so that I'll be fairly good at playing Celtic tunes. Dream on...

When I wasn't fiddling up a storm (the rest of the family was at English corner and happily exempt from hearing me murder dance tunes), I was pricing various instruments at Lark in the Morning for fun. I told this to Daddy who asked me if I'd gone to America, or what? I told him it was the World Wide Web. Lark in the Morning is like a three-branch music store with locations in California, Seattle, and somewhere else (Canada? Midwest? I have no idea). I have gotten three of my four whistles there, and I really like going in there. Of course, looking at pictures of instruments online is dangerous. I'd love to try them all out! I am an instrument maniac, I think. Anyway, if I'm coming to see me, stash all your string, woodwind, and keyboard instruments (drums and brass I either can't or won't play much just because three sections is enough!) and pretend you don't have any. Joke. I don't just walk into people's houses and start playing their instruments. (except for Uncle Gary. If he's got an instrument out, it's usually, "Look, everybody, try it out!" That's why I have dim memories of trying to play "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" on an Appalachian dulcimer and strong memories of murdering a digeredoo...)

No comments: