Saturday

Have you ever mixed up Debbie Reynolds and Natalie Portman?

Okay, maybe not. But I have. And I'm not a big movie-person, at least not 'til we came here, so please pardon me, fans.

It happened like this. We were watching Singin' in the Rain and had stopped the movie after the studio dance sequence during which we decided we didn't like Gene Kelly's voice. Okay, Becky and I did. Oh, well. But as we stopped, we got to talking about the actors and actresses or something. The reason we'd stopped is that we were going to have popcorn. Anyhow, the conversation gets on Debbie Reynolds, and Daddy says, "Princess Leia's mom."

Okay. Now, I knew there were prequels out there where you meet Leia's mother, but I thought they'd come out rather recently, myself. So I said, "Wouldn't she be kind of old?"

"Not really."

"But, I mean, when did the Star Wars movies come out?"

"Oh, seventies, eighties--the prequels are more recent."

"So, wouldn't she be old?"

"What do you mean?"

"How old is Luke and Leia's mom in the movies?"

At this point, he finally gets it. "Oh--no. Debbie Reynolds is Carrie Fisher's mom."

So, not knowing much about Star Wars other than the first movie (A New Hope) at the time, I unwittingly mixed up Natalie Portman (who plays Leia's mom) and Debbie Reynolds (who is Carrie Fisher's mom). What next? Elaine Taylor and Julie Andrews?

No comments: