Sunday

A Startling Equation

I am trying to train my mind to think complicated plots and details, because I want to write novels when I grow up. Hence: I'm trying out novel-length ideas right now, even as we speak. Unfortunately, it's hard not to cram everything into the first chapter. And subtlety, an art I admire, is not one of my strong points.

Plus, I keep wondering if I've heard the names I put down in writing before. Names really do matter, but I also don't want everybody wondering about some character I named "George Washington" or something like that. Once, a long time ago, I called a character John Adams, but not knowing much history, wondered where I'd heard it before. I attempted (and never suceeded) to psych up the courage to ask Daddy: "Is there somebody in politics you don't like named John Adams?" Another time, I came up with an Angela Bennet, when an Angela Somethingoranother and a Ruth Bennet were running for some office. Now, I'm wondering. Is the name Meg or Margaret Thatcher a name I should have heard before? In what context? Does it really fit a motherly older woman with health issues who is continually worrying about her nephew who is getting into trouble because of a crazy political scheme he has worked out?

Finally, it's really hard to figure out little everyday details. And I have too much of a liking for conversation. And, again, the subtlety. I might as well shout from the rooftops: "IN MY STORY, SO-AND-SO IS ACTUALLY A TRAITOR!" Dumb. Anyhow, eventually, I hope, with coaching and practice--much practice--I shall end up cranking out some decent "Young Adult" (hello, we're teenagers!) fiction...

But, until then...oh, well. If everything I typed or came up with was automatically published...alas for literature!

No comments: